Sidi Ifni is situated on the coastline Atlantic south of Morocco, flanked by the towns of Tiznit and Guelmim. Due to its position Sidi Ifni can be considered the door of the Atlantic Sahara. Taking its name from the region of the marabout, Sidi Ifni is the capital of the tribe of the Ait Baamrane.
A Spanish-Moroccan Treaty of 1767, proved by that of 1860, allows in Spain adequate land for the foundation of a fishery establishment in the region of Ifni. The territory was in fact occupied in 1934.
With the monetary assistance of Madrid, the city then enhanced quickly trailing a majestic map with a framework of avenues and streets and a central oval around which stand the main buildings are: the Spanish Consulate, the palace the governor, the cathedral and the town hall.
The city also has an airport, a casino, hotels, five cinemas, , a zoo and a swimming pool. Around 15,000 Spanish soldiers are then tationnés in Sidi Ifni.
The Spanish colony is the subject of a insistent defiance from local tribes Ait Baamrane distinguished for their bravery in all of Morocco. The occupied territory will decrease considerably the surface to be diminished, in the 1960s, the city of Ifni a ring of a few kilometers. These advances in the field, mixed with a relative recreation of relations amid Franco and Hassan II and international pressure lead to negotiations leading to the Treaty of Fez of4 January 1969which gives for the end of the Spanish dominion. Approximately all Spaniards are then came back to Spain.
On 6 March 2010, Sidi Ifni is no longer dependent on Tiznit. It is part of his own province.